Thursday, October 18, 2007

Brush with Celebrity


About a month ago, the climbing movie King Lines premiered in San Francisco. The movie is incredible...the most slick, inspiring climbing footage I have seen yet. It's all about Chris Sharma though, which does get a little monotonous. I was lucky to actually win a prize during the intros before the movie actually started. The MC asked for Sharma's middle name. Before anybody had a chance to react, I leapt up and shouted out " OMPRAKASH!!" Dunno, if anybody else knew the answer, but I didn't get them a chance :) Chris Sharma was named by a Hindu Guru that his (hippie, and obviously enchanted with the mystic Orient) folks paid obeisance to in Santa Cruz, CA. More in Chris Sharma My friends are always surprised that the name Sharma is as common in India as the name Smith is in the USA. Anyways, I got a copy of the King Lines DVD and a yr long subscription to Urban Climber magazine for my efforts :) I also had a great idea for the 2nd event - doing a funny Sharma impersonation. But I thought I had had my share of limelight for the evening. Anyways later, my friend Tahnee was kind enough to shoot a pic of me with Sharma as he was signing a poster for me.

Talking of celebs...I managed to hang out, and watch some big guns climb at the RocTrip recently. More on that later.

4 comments:

  1. hello ishu .. hey nice work.. gr 8 stuff, this brought back memories of our trip ( annie and i) way back in 1996 or was it 97 ??. to RRG we met the "young" sharma was he 15 ? 16 ?.then then katie brown / beth rodden / tommy caldwell .. was really nice to be there and climb for a week in RRG.. all the best.. MO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mo,

    Wow, I bet 10 yrs ago the Red was quite different. They have probably increased the # of routes 4 fold since then. You really did hang out with some of the future stars of that time. Good to hear from you.

    Ishu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ol' pal Wendy here. Sounds like you are enjoying life these days...mmm, makes me smile! Neat facts about Sharma I didn't know! I'm saving your blog in my favorites now. Hopefully I'll be in a pic with you on your blog some day ;) - W

    Glad to hear you are well and enjoying! I'll keep updated via your blog. Thanks for the link. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are looking for a day when while you being introduced, the anchor poses a question to the audience: How Kush Khandelwal was addressed during his Delhi days?, and then gets away with a prize for his/her right answer. And his prize/wish: to have your autograph and be photographed with you.
    Sudhir and Chitra

    ReplyDelete