Sunday, October 21, 2007

Kathak with Tap Dancing!

Last month my friend Disha was kind enough to invite me to an amazing dance event called India Jazz Progressions. (More info can be found at www.kathak.org) Quite one of its kind, this performance consisted of an amazing 'jugalbandi', or fusion of sorts between Kathak, a very traditional North Indian dance form, and tap dancing, a fairly modern American style of dance. A little disbelieving that such different schools of dance could blend well, I decided to trust in my friend's smart taste and went along with some friends to see this performance.

I was blown away! There was such fantastic rhythm created between the metal tap dancing shoes and the ghunghroos (ankle bells) worn by the kathak dancers. The duets and solos showed amazing synhcronicity. Who would have ever thought? I'll definitely be in line for a ticket the next time this show comes to town. Here's to more such creative collaborations in the future!

4 comments:

  1. Your ol' pal Wendy here. Sounds like you are enjoying life these days...mmm, makes me smile! Neat facts about Sharma I didn't know! I'm saving your blog in my favorites now. Hopefully I'll be in a pic with you on your blog some day ;) - W

    Glad to hear you are well and enjoying! I'll keep updated via your blog. Thanks for the link. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kush, sounds like you are having fun! Cultural events rock! Recently went to the Geothe Institut in DC to see some short films and somehow it occurred to me that we'd have had a great time debating the merits of this or that film :) Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kush,
    I am really impressed [read jealous] that you can appreciate the varied nuances of dance and also be into rock climbing in one life!
    I am a Kathak dancer myself and wish could do some sport climbing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deepika, I'm impressed myself that you found time out of a rigorous Kathak practice to read my rambling blog :) If you reside in the US, learning to climb is very easy with all the climbing gyms in major cities.

    ReplyDelete