Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The UN in rural Kentucky

That's right. During my week-long stay at the Red, I met climbers from Spain, Italy, the UK, Australia, Sweden, Phillipines, France and ofcourse from all over the US and Canada. Everybody who came was wowed. Including yours truly. Despite my limited experience with climbing destinations, I think I concur with climbing authorities such as Jens (owner of climbing megasite http://8a.nu) that the Red may simply be the best sport-climbing destination in the world. True the weather can be fickle, and rest-days are about waiting for the next climbing day. However if perfect diverse sport-routes, in all grades (from 5.8 - 5.14) are what you are looking for, then the Red's hard to beat. The New River Gorge comes close (given my bias towards the New), however I'm forced to admit that the Red is a more fun destination after all. My next entry will be a detailed trip report.

1 comment: